Ever look at someone and ask, “How do they have all the luck”? Why is it that some people seem so lucky and others do not? I have asked these questions myself, but I’ve thought of myself as quite lucky at times too. Did you know there are ways to become luckier?
I never tried to teach ‘luck’ until I read a great section on this topic in The Survivors Club by Ben Sherwood. Ben studied people who survived desperate situations. It is a great book to add to your reading list. Some of the following ideas are drawn from that book as well as my own experience.
Here are five strategies that will increase your luck:
- Being in the right place at the right time is being in the right state of mind. It means that you have to be more open and receptive to the opportunities around you. People get lucky when they can identify a good situation and take advantage of it. How can you increase your state of mind? Increase your personal development, education, and social network. The more you know and the more people you have in your circle the “luckier” you can become.
- Make sure to listen to your hunches and gut feelings. We all have a powerful subconscious mind. The subconscious mind makes your heart beat and lungs breath without you thinking about it; it drives your car safely while you daydream to your destination. Ever drive somewhere and don’t remember the trip? That is your subconscious mind doing the work. The inner workings of the subconscious mind are remarkable. Its main goal is to protect and serve you. It also processes information in ways your conscious mind cannot. People who get lucky listen to their subconscious mind when it is giving them a hunch; when they feel something isn’t right or feel the need to act, they listen.
- Persevere in the face of failure. Lucky people don’t quit when the going gets tough. Because they did not give up they are often looked at as ‘lucky’ when in fact they were just more persistent than others. You can have a knack of making wishes come true this way. If it doesn’t work, keep trying. Lucky people have an optimistic outlook on life; they expect good things to happen. When you expect good things, you will eventually get them. Ever meet someone where everything is always terrible? Do you think they get lucky or can even spot luck? No! They are miserable, so they can only see misery. Get an attitude of optimism and abundance, and luck will surely come your way.
- They turn bad luck into good fortune. Ever read stories about people where disaster hits and their life is turned upside down? Of course, we all have! There are two kinds of people, the ones who lives fall apart and the ‘lucky’ ones who turn this disaster into triumph. Many times the ‘lucky’ realize their lives have taken on a new path. How do you think all the superhero’s got their start? They not only cope well, but they turn this potential disaster into a lucky development. Become your own superhero!
- Luck favors those who work. You can’t just sit around and wish for something to change. You have to be willing to go get it. Luck favors those who take action. You have to go out there and get those things you want. The more you work, the luckier you will get. The universe rewards people who work towards their desires.
Later, when you are successful people will try to down play it and say ‘You are so lucky!’ You don’t have to correct them. Make sure to smile and know that in your world, you make your own luck.